New VM hosts ordered
Posted by martijnl on November 23, 2006
As i wrote in my other post we cam to the point of ordering the other two hosts. After some deliberation we have decided to buy the new DL585 G2’s. I haven’t been able to find an exclusive answer to the question of VMotion support between the old hosts (using Opteron 880’s) and the new hosts (using Opteron 8216’s) but CPU masking will enable that anyway.
More important to us is that the Generation 2 of the DL585 can hold up to 64GB of PC5300 memory (running 667Mhz) compared to 32GB PC 3200 (400Mhz) maximum in the Generation 1.
Our new config looks like this (and is added to the server specs page):
- HP ProLiant DL585R02 O/2,4-2P 2 GB (2 Opteron DC 8216 cpu’s / 1 MB cache / SA P400i – 512 MB – BBWC)
- 2x AMD Opteron 8216 2,4 GHz- 1 MB Dual Core (95 Watt) processor option
- 32 GB Dual Rank memory (PC2-5300 / ECC / DDR / SDRAM / (2 x 2 GB)
- 2x 36.4-GB 10K SFF SAS harddisk (10K, SFF SAS, hot pluggable)
- 3x HP NC360T PCI Express Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter
- Hot Plug Redundant PSU for ProLiant DL580R03/R04 en ML570 G3/G4 en DL585G2
- 2x Fiber channel PCI-X 2.0 4Gb Single HBA
Estimated delivery time is three to four weeks so it will be a nice Christmas gift.