Follow up: Oracle troubles
Posted by martijnl on March 23, 2007
I will be writing a “lessons learned” post about our project in the near future but for now I will follow up on the Oracle problems we had last month.
What we learned from using Oracle in a VI environment is that memory settings turned out to be highly critical in relation to the performance of the VM. We didn’t have this problem on a physical machine, at least not as intrusive as this, but when Oracle doesn’t have enough memory available it starts very heavy swapping to the virtual disk. This results in a 100% CPU load and processes start to hang with an unresponsive application as the result for the users.
Adding memory to the amount the server needs (indicated by checking the swapsize in the VM) has fixed these problems.